The Stella Kupferberg Memorial Short Story Prize is a writing competition sponsored by Selected Shorts. This long-running series at Symphony Space in New York City celebrates the art of the short story by having stars of stage and screen read aloud the works of established and emerging writers. Selected Shorts is recorded for Public Radio and heard nationally.
The 2017 Stella Kupferberg Memorial Short Story Prize will be judged by Lauren Groff, author of Fates and Furies. The winning work will be performed and recorded live at a Selected Shorts performance at Symphony Space in May 2017, and published on Electric Literature. The winning writer will receive $1000 and a free 10-week course with Gotham Writers.
Read “Head Over Knees,” the 2016 contest winner, here.
Contest Details and Guidelines
- Entires should be 750 words or less.
- Stories can be on any theme.
- There is a fee of $25 to enter.
- Submissions must be entered by midnight EST on March 1, 2017.
- Writers of all ages and nationalities are eligible.
- The story must have a title.
- We do not accept work that has been previously published in print, online, or any other medium.
- We do not accept works in translation.
- Once entered, we do not accept revisions for any stories. Your $25 is nonrefundable.
- You may enter as many stories as you like, but a $25 fee is required for each story.
- We no longer accept mailed, paper submissions. Stories received in the mail will be returned unread with your uncashed check. If you have problems with the online form or are unable to submit online for some extenuating circumstance, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make sure your work reaches us.
- The winner will be announced in May 2017.
Please read the contest guidelines before submitting or contacting us. If you have further questions, please reach us as email@example.com.